Tracking Section

Postby nathan » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:18 pm

I've started to create the tracking section of the site. All there is at the moment is a google map and a logo. I would like to add various data points and perhaps have a pop out menu to hold more content.

What are peoples thoughts? What sort of data would you like to see?

www.autonboat.com/tracking
nathan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Re: Tracking Section

Postby Sparkicidal » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:35 am

nathan wrote:I've started to create the tracking section of the site. All there is at the moment is a google map and a logo. I would like to add various data points and perhaps have a pop out menu to hold more content.

What are peoples thoughts? What sort of data would you like to see?

http://www.autonboat.com/tracking


It's a good start. It would be good to add the start/finish lines. Maybe add the intended route, then we can plot the actual route when AB does it to see how closely it matches it? You could add time markers to the data points as they are entered, but that is something for later. Erm...I'll have more of a think and get back to you.
Sparkicidal
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK

Re: Tracking Section

Postby nathan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:04 pm

Sparkicidal wrote:
nathan wrote:I've started to create the tracking section of the site. All there is at the moment is a google map and a logo. I would like to add various data points and perhaps have a pop out menu to hold more content.

What are peoples thoughts? What sort of data would you like to see?

http://www.autonboat.com/tracking


It's a good start. It would be good to add the start/finish lines. Maybe add the intended route, then we can plot the actual route when AB does it to see how closely it matches it? You could add time markers to the data points as they are entered, but that is something for later. Erm...I'll have more of a think and get back to you.


Ones i were thinking off were:

Last heading
Last bearing to checkpoint
average speed
duration

with a slide out sidebar a long list of all the check-ins with the raw data inc temp readings. Of course the start-finish with way points will be on the map
nathan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK

Re: Tracking Section

Postby Cowboybob » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Battery(s) condition.

On that note nathan, what are the chances I might borrow the Iridium 9602 modem for a while?

I would like to test it with the WATT rig to confirm (or refute) its ( the WATT's) efficacy, reliability, durability etc..

I'll cover shipping/insurance costs.
Cowboybob
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: James Island, SC USA

Re: Tracking Section

Postby Sparkicidal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:25 am

Cowboybob wrote:Battery(s) condition.

On that note nathan, what are the chances I might borrow the Iridium 9602 modem for a while?

I would like to test it with the WATT rig to confirm (or refute) its ( the WATT's) efficacy, reliability, durability etc..

I'll cover shipping/insurance costs.


To save money for you, could you not wire the output of WATT to a power resistor and set a monitor on the voltage across the resistor? By measuring the voltage over a known resistance, you can calculate the current and/or the power. That should give you a good measure of it's efficiency and reliability without the added cost of each transmission.
Sparkicidal
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:29 pm
Location: Whitstable, Kent, UK

Re: Tracking Section

Postby Cowboybob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Hey, Spark,

It isn't so much the testing of the WATT itself (simple enough to do) as it is the WATT/Modem system in the absence of "normal" AB power.

I've calculated the theoretical power (in Joules) needed to supply the modem with sufficient power (as well as the expected voltage drop that occurs across the WATT's storage super cap during that discharge to accommodate the modem's minimum Vcc of 4.5VDC). Once charged it should allow a single data burst until the next time the WATT charges up to the VGOOD level. It seems to fit the requirements of the modem but I want to be able to confirm the whole system at least once.

As for the data link cost(s), I thought that was being picked up by the Iridium (or whoever) people. Either way, I would cover that cost as well for this test.

Again, there should be adequate power for the modem usage without the WATT portion, but I still see a need should the main power system fail and we would still like confirmation that ol' AB ain't sunk yet... :roll: .
Cowboybob
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:19 pm
Location: James Island, SC USA

Re: Tracking Section

Postby nathan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:03 pm

I would do, but i don't have one. I asked them not to send it until the project was ready for it as its a high value item and knew there could be some slow progress.
nathan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:01 pm
Location: Leicestershire, UK


Return to Site News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest



cron