Building the Hull

Postby nathan » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:53 am

The Hull will be based on Balsa Wood then layered with fibreglass for the test going version, We may use either Kevlar Fibre or Carbon Fibre for the ocean going one.

Using Balsa Wood helps us mould the hull to the exact shape we want and then sand it down to get a nice smooth finish. I think I'm at a stage where I have the plans in place for the hull to make a start on it. There's just one issue at the moment and that's I can't source Balsa Wood sheets at the right size. I'm trying to source the following;

4 x 5mm thick, 210mm width, 1800mm length
10 x 3mm thick, 210mm width, 1800mm length

I really don't want to have any joins as this may introduce weak points or joins that stick up slightly. Having said that, the Balsa base wouldn't be providing the main strength so we may be OK. I'll continue to email suppliers trying source them but we may have to use Plan B.

If anyone knows of a decent supplier that would be able to supple the above, then let us know below!
nathan
Site Admin

Re: Building the Hull

Postby Ravenous » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 am

1.8m long seems a bit over what most normal suppliers would carry, at a guess... I doubt many modellers would need single pieces that long so maybe nobody will carry it?

Have you considered going for strips with well-separated joins so there's no overlap? (Like planking I suppose.)

EDIT: also have you seen this chap? Spotted it a few weeks ago and thought it might interest you (they're mainly using bought-in hulls I think):

http://www.gpss.force9.co.uk/autop.htm
Ravenous

Postby nathan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:03 pm

very interesting, i hadn't come across that website before. Certainly some good reading.

I've got a few more suppliers to email then i'll start looking into getting some shorter lengths.
nathan
Site Admin

Postby FishPi » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:28 pm

do you have any hull plans we can see?
FishPi

Postby nathan » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:09 pm

indeed,

there based on the following from racingsparrow.com

http://www.racingsparrow.co.nz/docs/RS_1500.pdf

We'll see how it goes on water and make any alterations needed for the ocean going version.
nathan
Site Admin

Postby Ravenous » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:11 am

Is that cell OK for use on its side? It doesn't say on the page, but I think it's a liquid electrolyte, not gel... be best to check first...

EDIT - sorry this post was in reply to the other thread about the 2V lead acid cells in the keel... :oops:
Ravenous

Postby nathan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:33 am

Ravenous wrote:Is that cell OK for use on its side? It doesn't say on the page, but I think it's a liquid electrolyte, not gel... be best to check first...

EDIT - sorry this post was in reply to the other thread about the 2V lead acid cells in the keel... :oops:

wouldn't worry about it! I've replied on that thread.
nathan
Site Admin

Postby Sparkicidal » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:28 am

Dare I ask how the build is going?

The fact that this is our first post of 2017, and it's on the 1st June, does not bode well... :)
Sparkicidal

Return to Hardware