Simulation

Postby nathan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:57 pm

I've been working some simulation software for the autonboat. The idea is that the simulation software will pull in tidal current, wind speed and wind direction in real time from a weather API service.

This way i can run the logics for day on end to ensure it reacts as it should. There isn't much to show just yet but here is the half finished GUI.

nathan
Site Admin

Re: Simulation

Postby Cowboybob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:48 pm

Looks good so far, nathan.

You're writing this sim?
Cowboybob

Postby nathan » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Cowboybob wrote:Looks good so far, nathan.

You're writing this sim?

Yeah in c# .net
nathan
Site Admin

Postby nathan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Getting real time (or near real time) current data for the whole world is proving to be a little tricky at the moment. Will move ahead without plumbing that data into the sim for now.
nathan
Site Admin

Postby Cowboybob » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 pm

The whole world? Can't just deal with the Atlantic for the time being? Just asking.

Anyway, how do you deal with winds? Seems like you could use average data and then, I suppose, throw in random anomalies?

I've got to hand it to you. Knowing no more than I do about the SIM you have in mind, it strikes me as a daunting task...

I'm impressed.
Cowboybob

Postby nathan » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Cowboybob wrote:The whole world? Can't just deal with the Atlantic for the time being? Just asking.

Anyway, how do you deal with winds? Seems like you could use average data and then, I suppose, throw in random anomalies?

I've got to hand it to you. Knowing no more than I do about the SIM you have in mind, it strikes me as a daunting task...

I'm impressed.

Even finding the data for the Atlantic is difficult, I can only get it for near land.

For the wind, I'm Pulling the real time data from 3 different sources and averaging it. Those sources also give gust readings, I.e max gust speed so I'll throw in a random number between 0 and max gust speed.

All of this project is a daunting task, every little bit of testing helps and this sim will help moving forward
nathan
Site Admin

Return to Software