Team auton boat

Postby rthuey » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 pm

honestly i'm not sure how i got here. then again the wife has permanently left a post-it on our bathroom mirror with my name on it so i know who i am each day. won't say its because old age since i have had this problem all my life. :D

nathan. you appear to be the captain, but not really since the goal is autonomy! or do we go with the title of chief instigator. might i suggest this be moved or another thread started directly under the general heading with the same or similar name. after visiting The Microtransat Challenge website i am thinking you may not be in the states. autonboat.com doesn't have that info, nor did you put anything in your profile. i may not be able to offer the hands on that i wanted to, if that is the case. perhaps there may be other roles i feel i can step up to, we'll see. i did at least update my location in mine before posting this. i see cowboybob is in the USA as well. only four others. where the others at?
rthuey

Re: Team auton boat

Postby Sparkicidal » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:21 pm

I know that Nathan is in the UK Midlands, around Leicester if I remember rightly. I'm in Whitstable, Kent, UK. Basically, in the very South Eastern corner there's a nobbly bit. I live on the North coast of the knobbly bit, about the middle. :)
Sparkicidal

Postby nathan » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:26 pm

rthuey wrote:honestly i'm not sure how i got here. then again the wife has permanently left a post-it on our bathroom mirror with my name on it so i know who i am each day. won't say its because old age since i have had this problem all my life. :D

nathan. you appear to be the captain, but not really since the goal is autonomy! or do we go with the title of chief instigator. might i suggest this be moved or another thread started directly under the general heading with the same or similar name. after visiting The Microtransat Challenge website i am thinking you may not be in the states. autonboat.com doesn't have that info, nor did you put anything in your profile. i may not be able to offer the hands on that i wanted to, if that is the case. perhaps there may be other roles i feel i can step up to, we'll see. i did at least update my location in mine before posting this. i see cowboybob is in the USA as well. only four others. where the others at?

lol, i'll update it now!

I need to put up a page somewhere with who's helping out with what, i'll get it done in the next couple of days. Just got back from holiday and after a 8 hour drive (typical UK roads) im shattered!
nathan
Site Admin

Postby robsbots » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:05 am

Hi team.

I'm hoping to get a pi from Santa this year. I've been good and he has my list :D.
Anyway, I've been ripping through the RPi forums and found my way here. I'm interested in robotics and autonomous control. (You may have guessed that from the handle ;) ).
I'm planning a slightly less ambitious project. A land base autonomous bot. A little simpler you will probably agree.

I'm down on the south east coast. I know very little of the sea, but I've seen some pretty heavy sea's whilst out fishing. Sending an autonomous 2m craft out in to that is a great thing to do.

I think what you guys are attempting is incredible, and I hope you are successful. It's not an easy thing to achieve. If I could offer any help I'm more than happy to assist. I have done a little coding for pic's/avr's/arduino/pc base python. Even if its just cleaning up the web site of spam. I'm your man.

btw. What is the software you are using to host the blog. I play about with wordpress and this has some great plug-ins to stop spammers.

I wish you fair winds and dry boards.

Regards

Rob

ps. You said you would glue AB shut for the maiden voyage. Would it be an idea to stuff a load of those little silica gel bags in there just to make sure any residual moisture trapped in the hull it's when sealed is absorbed ? Just a thought......
robsbots

Re: AIS

Postby robsbots » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 am

Autonomous AIS is out there and in use.

I found this :-AIS equiped buoy.
It operates off 12 Volts DC and consumes less than 1 amp-hour per day

Not really sure what that means in mA though.....

Looking at the licence application form its only for manned vessels or non moving buoys/obstacles. You may be able to transmit from land with your vessels location if you can get a licence though. No power problems with that option, but no feedback to AB either....
robsbots

Postby Cowboybob » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Welcome, robsbots!

Don't know how I missed this thread, given how few there are to begin with.

If you get the chance to peruse the whole site you'll see what components have been acquired thus far and a general idea of the progress, which is methodical (another way of saying "slow") to be sure.

Would it be an idea to stuff a load of those little silica gel bags in there just to make sure any residual moisture trapped in the hull it's when sealed is absorbed ?

Not a bad idea and easily enough added to the list. Water tightness is, of course, a major concern and low humidity very desirable for the electronics, but not that easy to implement.

Again, welcome. BTW, where are you located?
Cowboybob

Return to Other